ss_blog_claim=07631723136979eef7a8e3040dc98ea7

Monday, March 21, 2011

Japan, the Quake and Nuclear Issues


I've spent just over a week on various websites, hoping against hope that this is all going to spin out OK. And in the meantime, I have been studying for my nuclear physicist degree via Google and online fora, inc the live Reuters blog, which has shown how a media organisation can truly surpass itself.

It no longer looks like it will all be good news from now on. But I will keep being optimistic, and believing in my new found friends in Japan, whose culture continues to amaze me. And no, that is not because they don't loot in emergencies. WTF? Where, really, is the Western media and culture if that is all that matters? If we are going to follow that: can I have a really cheap Nissan Patrol, however radioactive to replace the last one? (Yeah, yeah, three now.) This is not meant as a throw away comment, but to support Japanese industry. If the Yanks won't buy them, I will. Best 4x4 ever built.

I am so impressed by the people I have met through Twitter etc this last week. I just wish we could help more. I feel horrendously helpless, as do people in Japan, as we watch people suffer for want of water etc; for some of my new friends, those suffering are mere miles away, but there is no chance to get through. We can't help that, let alone the loss of loved ones, who none of us can ever replace.

But, so you know, the Reuters site, the Tepco webcam, Kyodo, NISA, IAEA, and several other sites have been the constant fodder for my browsers. Computer crash? Re-open 8 specific windows to keep up. NHK has been on full audio and video all the way through via NicoNico after the previous livestream via Ustream was trashed by spammers.

(I have to admit that even with the spammers the Ustream feed at least allowed English speakers to add to the links and info we all needed). Nico Nico gives me a boringly repetitive stream of squares, not even symbols - Kangu? Not had time to do more than hit "Translate" in Chrome, which has proved useless.

I have learnt about micro and milli sieverts, grays, bananas as a source of radioactivity, and a million and one important items about radioactivity and nuclear generation. Which, considering where I live in relation to Windscale, Seascale or Sellafield, can only be useful.

I learnt about Edano, the government spokesman, watched him over and over on NHK, and followed the hashtag "edano_nero" which means Edano _Sleep. The poor sod has been knackered for days. No-one would begrudge him 12 hours off, especially when the CEO of TEPCO is nowhere in sight for a week. In fact, it is beginning to seem that if he doesn't hit the sack soon, someone will hit him for it. (If you know what I mean!)

I have learnt now when to react, and when not, to sensationalist headlines. (Or just report them to the new Name and Shame Wall for journalistic failure)

Meanwhile, millions of people are supporting these people in Japan.


Please, let this end well, for all. I've never expected to know so many people in Japan, but Twitter, photos, social and crucial media has brought so many people into my sphere this last week that it has hard not to care *so* much for these folk now.



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home